You can greatly improve your chances of getting the job offers you want by preparing for the questions you may be asked in an interview and by presenting yourself professionally.
Behavioral Based Interviews
Prepare in advance for behavioral interview questions by identifying six to eight examples from past work experience that illustrate situations in which you were able to learn, overcome obstacles, improve relationships, or salvage a customer.
- Choose examples of times you met goals and were proud of your accomplishments.
- Choose other situations which started out negatively but ended positively or in which you made the best of difficult circumstances.
There is a technique to answering these questions. Describe the situation, your action, and the outcome.
What to Say and Do in an Interview
- Arrive early but not too early.
- Dress professionally and appropriately for the work environment you are visiting.
- Job applications should be filled out completely.
- Know your resume. Make sure it highlights your achievements.
- Be confident and ready. Be prepared to shake hands at the beginning and end of the interview. Thank the interviewer.
- Research the company before the interview. Prepare at least 3 questions for your interviewer. Do not ask about advancement, benefits or salary at this time.
- Send a thank you note to your interviewer.
Be Prepared With Answers to the Following Questions:
- Tell me about your most recent job(s). Speak about responsibilities and accomplishments. Be ready with specific examples.
- Speak positively of past employers. It is unprofessional to speak ill of previous supervisors or employers in the interview.
- How did you feel about your supervisor(s)?
- What did you like most/least about each position?
- Why did you leave each position?
- What are your strengths/weaknesses? (Answer in a business context and in a positive manner).
- What are you looking for? Where do you want to be in 1 year/5 years? (Answer with relevancy to the job at hand).
- What are your hobbies/outside interests? What books have you read recently?
- When asked about salary, you may share what you have recently earned and state you are open to the company’s offer.
Need more information about interviews or interview tips? Contact us or call 602-263-5100 and we’ll help you prepare for your job search.